Procedure To Hire A Criminal Lawyer Mississauga
Looking for a criminal lawyer? we will list down step by step for selecting a criminal Lawyer Mississauga.
When you are being charged with a criminal offense that you didn’t commit, it can be extremely stressful. Often it can turn your life upside down. To save yourself from this misery, you will need someone trustworthy to help you. Your best course of action is to retain the services of a criminal defense lawyer. Only a good lawyer knows what to do in these circumstances.
One wrong step and you could end up with a criminal record or even worse, behind bars. The seriousness of the charge generally dictates what the possible outcomes can be.
A criminal defense lawyer will help you understand the gravity of the situation, and then formulate a strategy to help protect your freedom and your future. You may not know a criminal lawyer personally, so the obvious first step is to research and speak to a criminal defense lawyer online. The best course of action is to ask yourself some serious questions.
Why should you hire a criminal defense lawyer?
You might be thinking, do I need a lawyer? What can he or she do for me? Can they solve my problem? Can I trust them?
Trust and confidence in the lawyer are the most important things to think about. Making the wrong decision here could affect the rest of your life.
So before hiring a criminal defense lawyer, you should keep in mind the following:
- Sharing your problem with just anyone won’t solve your problem.
- Sharing your problem with your lawyer will help lead the way out because this is why you are hiring him.
- Lawyers do this for a living. They help people who are charged with criminal offenses.
- Only a lawyer can help you understand the gravity of the situation and the appropriate steps to take.
Things to consider before hiring a criminal defense lawyer
- Do I even need a lawyer?
- Can I afford a lawyer?
- Can a lawyer help me solve this problem?
- Are there alternatives to hiring a lawyer?
Generally, you will need a criminal lawyer. The stakes are too great to try to figure the problem out on your own. Some services are free through the use of duty counsel and that may be enough. However, the use of duty counsel services is limited generally to getting out on bail and pleading guilty to less serious matters. Retaining a criminal lawyer is generally a better way to proceed as they will have the appropriate time and resources for your case.
Here is how to choose a lawyer for yourself.
Step by Step procedure to hire a criminal defense lawyer
Now you know that you have a serious problem, and you need a serious lawyer to help solve it.
You have done your research and you are ready to talk to a lawyer.
1. Type of lawyer
Be sure to retain a lawyer who focuses on defending individuals who are charged by the police. It makes no sense to find a lawyer who isn’t in the criminal courts day in and day out. The next step is to look at experience. Generally, the more experienced the criminal defense lawyer, the better the criminal defense lawyer. It’s simply logical.
2. Legal Aid Lawyer
If you can’t afford a lawyer and your case is not that serious. You can talk to a legal aid lawyer. In our criminal justice system, you have a right to be represented by a lawyer to defend you on your criminal charges. A legal aid lawyer is a lawyer who is paid by the province to defend people who are unable to afford lawyers themselves. The general test for eligibility is two-fold:
- Does your low income meet the threshold?
- Is the offense one where you may go to jail?
If both of these tests are met, you may be eligible for a legal aid lawyer.
3. Book a criminal defense lawyer online
Most criminal lawyers have their websites. You can go online to book a criminal defense lawyer for yourself.
It goes without saying that if you or someone from your family know a good criminal lawyer, then contact them.
Otherwise, book a lawyer online. Not everyone knows a lawyer. Especially if no one in your family has ever been involved in the criminal justice system.
Google ‘criminal defense lawyer near me’ or ‘criminal lawyer Mississauga’ and also enter the city where you live or where the case is. There will be many options.
Now check the following:
- Their google reviews
- What their past clients have said about them
- Read testimonials on their website
- Learn their work process
- Read up on news about their past cases
Before getting in touch with a lawyer perform thorough research.
Here are a few red flags lawyers may use and you should think twice before hiring:
- Assurances of success right away
- Doesn’t examine documents properly
- Doesn’t have a proper strategy ahead on how to lead the proceedings.
- Asks for a large amount of money instantly without signing a contract
- Flaunts too much of the client’s success without any knowing the case
5. Preparing yourself for a lawyer meeting
Below are the things we should do before meeting a lawyer that can help you assess the lawyer. Before we go on to the list you need to understand that while selecting a lawyer you need to fully trust him and before you want to give your trust to some lawyer you would want to assess him fully.
1. Get on a call with him and set up a time to meet.
2. Before the meeting, prepare a list. Write down all questions, fears, and objections that you have on that list.
3. Ask the lawyer every question on the list one by one during the meeting. Do not hesitate!
4. The lawyer should satisfy all your queries in a fair and reasonable manner
5. If you have time, repeat this process with 2-3 lawyers.
6. Pick the one you feel most comfortable with and have the most confidence in.
7. Once retained, discuss all the facts and share all the details.
8. The more details your lawyer has, the better he will be able to defend you in the courtroom.
9. Don’t discuss your case with anyone other than who the lawyer authorizes.
If you are having trouble choosing a lawyer or you are just stressed about a charge, feel free to contact our legal team to set up an appointment to discuss your case. Our initial meetings are complimentary.
Just dial the number on the top right corner and let us do the rest.